Sunday 13 May 2012

Cir Mhor - Arran's Matterhorn

A good weather forecast at last, so I decided to set off up to Cir Mhor. It was pouring with rain when I got out of the car in Glen Rosa but I persevered and was eventually rewarded with sunshine - and showers (hail on the tops)
As usal the view ahead going up Glen Rosa was superb with my path to the summit stretching out in front of me. I was welcomed by a stonechat singing on a rock beside the burn. It flew away of course just as I pressed the camera shutter.
The path up to the ridge has been greatly improved, the old eroded section replaced with boulders (thank you SNT!) I met two groups who had been attempting the climbs on the Glen Rosa face of Cir Mhor but who had abandoned because of the water still running off the face of the rocks.
Cir Mhor sits at the centre of the Arran ridges and their sweeping curves can be enjoyed to best advantage from here.
There is also a fine view down the valley into Sannox and, if you are lucky and the air is clear, to the northern hills on the mainland.
 A quick lunch, followed by a blast of hail, and I was back in the valley in warm sunshine. The burn was full and the wonderfull swimming pools in the Glen were bubbling away like giant jaccuzzis. Tempting - but just a few degrees too cold !
An excellent day and Cir Mhor figures on both the Glen Sannox and Castles walks of the Mountain Festival. Not to be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment