Wednesday 24 April 2013

MEET THE ARRAN MOUNTAIN FESTIVAL WALK LEADERS

JOSE NAVARRO

What do you do when you don’t lead walks for the Arran Mountain Festival?

I run NNAS outdoor navigation courses, write about mountain and outdoor photography, teach photography and lead outdoor photography workshops in Iceland.

Why do you volunteer as an Arran Mountain Festival walk leader?

To share my passion for wild places with other people, to enthuse and encourage them to go out there. It is also an opportunity for me to get to know Arran better.

Tell us about a favourite mountain moment.

Last year up in the Carneddau of Snowdonia. Glorious winter day. Good, consolidated snow underfoot. Beautiful, crisp winter light. Ideal conditions for photography. I was so busy looking out, down and ahead of me, photographing the landscape, that I forgot to look up. My partner did. Just as well because otherwise we would have missed an incredible solar halo right above us - see attached pic. Memorable.


What is your favourite Arran walk?

I look forward to doing the Three Beinns Horseshoe. Awesome terrain with far-reaching panoramic views over the mountains of Arran.

Which piece of kit would you not head into the hills without?

A spare copy of my map. Have you ever seen your (only) map fly away in the wind?

What is your favourite breakfast before a long day out in the mountains?

Can't beat traditional Scottish porridge... with custard.

Jose is co-leading the Castles & Witch's Step walk, The Three Beinns walk and the Through the Glens walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment