Wednesday 8 May 2013

MEET THE ARRAN MOUNTAIN FESTIVAL WALK LEADERS


JO TOTTY

What do you do when you don’t lead walks for the Arran Mountain Festival?

I’m a mum and wife, I also volunteer with the National Trust for Scotland at Brodick Castle 3 days a week and less frequently for Community of Arran Seabed Trust. I love to have bonfires, go on walks, swim in the sea, am learning Gaelic, and am the chair of this Festival!!

Why do you volunteer as an Arran Mountain Festival walk leader?

I volunteer as I love the mountains and whilst I’m happy to head off with my map and compass and a full bag of exciting kit, I realise that not everyone has the same confidence and skills – I just want to share what I love with as many people as possible!

Tell us about a favourite mountain moment.

Summiting Mount Kilimanjaro without a guide, and being the first woman that day to see the sunrise from the summit.

What is your favourite Arran walk?

The amazing views along the majestic sweeping ridge between Caisteal Abhail and Sail am Im.

Which piece of kit would you not head into the hills without?

Aside from the essential map and compass, it’d have to be a malt loaf – no matter what you try to do to it and no matter what shape it’s become, it’s always edible!

What is your favourite breakfast before a long day out in the mountains?

A massive bowl of cereal, with extra seeds and raisins.


Jo is co-leading the North Sannox and Laggantuin walk and the Corbetts day 2.

1 comment:

  1. Since answering the questionnaire, maybe not a favourite mountain moment as such as the weather was awful, but my proudest mountain moment must be summitting Goatfell on Monday with my 6-year old daughter :-)

    ReplyDelete