Monday 11 May 2015

MEET THE ARRAN MOUNTAIN FESTIVAL WALK LEADERS



ROBBIE ADAMSON

What do you do when you don’t lead walks for the Arran Mountain Festival?
I work as an environmental surveyor based in Hexham in Northumberland. In my spare time I enjoy mountain biking, getting into the hills, and playing my bagpipes. 

Why do you volunteer as an Arran Mountain Festival walk leader?

Growing up on Arran gave me my love of the outdoors. The Arran Mountain Festival is a fantastic opportunity to share my love of the hills with a range of different people.  

Tell us about a favourite mountain moment.
I am lucky to have a few special moments in the hills but if I had to choose I would have to say going up Goatfell, with my now wife, on our first ‘date’. It was a perfect summer’s day late in the afternoon and amazingly we got the summit to ourselves.

What is your favourite Arran walk?
As a south-ender I would have to pick Cnocan Donn in the south of the island. What it lacks in height it can more than make up for in views and a sense of solitude.

Which piece of kit would you not head into the hills without?
A torch, a perfect excuse to stay on the summit to watch the sunset.

What is your favourite breakfast before a long day out in the mountains?
A big one, less to carry on the hill.

Robbie is leading the Three Beinns and Glen Sannox horseshoe walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment